17 Front Street; home of Tony & Cindy Sensenberger
Old Main Street Scene; buildings remain
19 Front Street, circa 1910; house is owned and occupied by Chris & Lynn Crumbley as of 2011.
Amanda Carnes Camper
(1836 - 1885)
Anderson home on Bluebelle Drive
MADISON STATION HISTORICAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY
The city of Madison was founded as a railroad depot town soon after the completion of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad in 1856. The first town lot was sold by James Clemens (father of U. S. Senator Jeremiah Clemens and a distant cousin of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, aka "Mark Twain") in February of 1857 to George Washington Martin, the town's first merchant. As the town grew following the Civil War, the merchants desired to change the image from simply being a railroad depot, so they incorporated the town and changed the name in 1869 to just "Madison", dropping the "Station" from the legal name. The Historical Society takes an active role in preserving the ambiance of the old town's historical district, as the town has now grown into a thriving aerospace-oriented modern city. The buttons to the left will provide more information about both the city and the Historical Society today.
The landmark (octagonal)
Madison's first city hall
(NOT the web site for the county of Madison, but for the town of Madison's historical society only)